History

1959       

Bruce Robertson Sawdoctors was started at 358 Great North Road Grey Lynn. The core business began with contracts for schools around Auckland and tools were originally sharpened by hand. Our first sharpening machines were bought from Mr Bill Sharp for 400 pounds.

 

1960

The first employee Noel pollard started as a sawdoctor.  This is where the skills of Bruce and Noel developed the small business into a thriving saw doctory with a reputation for quality services and products.  Its this basic philosophy that has made our company what it is today.  Over the years there have been many changes but our commitment to providing only the very best has never waivered.

 
1961

Bob Sinclair whom Bruce had met through previous employment at Thompson and Sims started the partnership Robertson and Sinclair Ltd and shifted to an old house at 28 Ponsonby road, Ponsonby. This is when they began calling on woodworking businesses, collecting sharpening and selling new sawblades.

 
1962

Whilst calling on these customers they were regularly asked for machinery and so they began to sell machines on behalf and also buying and selling machines at auction. Dave Newman begins his career with us as a fresh faced 15 year old and is currently one of our key people and manages our North Shore business.

 
1965

A new building is built over the old house working while the constuction was happening above them.  Upon completion the staff had been increased to 12 including Graeme Sinclair son of Bob Sinclair.

 
1965-79

The company really expanded during this time taking over businesses such as Apex saw and tool, Mount Saws, Greens Saws and machinery and also Auckland sawdoctors. Some of these companies were run alongside R and S at this time.

   
1980

The Company shifts again, this time to 33-35 Sale st, freemans bay beside victoria park markets.  It was from here that we began to explore hi tech production machinery and tooling.

 
1981

Bruce’s son Paul Robertson begins with us and he is now the General Manager and a shareholder of the business.

 
1983

Bought Bartlett Bandsaw from Murray Such and Terry Crompton.  Murray’s son Duncan Such or Dr Buzz as he pens himself in the joiner’s magazine started his career in the technical Department and is now a managing director and a shareholder.

   
1990

All of the existing companies were combined as Robertson and Sinclair Ltd with 3 branches, 1 at Sale St and the others at 112 Wairau rd north shore and 46 king St Hamilton

   
 1995 A new building was built at 1096 great south road to handle the high production machinery such as Beam saws and CNC machines.  As this market grew the company had over 50 employees.  It was around this time that Bruce and Bob retired leaving the business in the safe hands of Paul and Duncan and Graeme.  
2003

Graeme Sinclair retires and sells his share of the company to Greg O’Connell Who as an accountant operates as our financial controller and is still today a shareholder.

 
2004

With the market rapidly changing and growing we refocussed our attention to our core business of being Sharpening and Tooling specialists with a defined range of classical woodwork machinery.

 
2005

Relocated to 727 Great South road Penrose where we are today to a building, which suits the needs of our refocussed business better.

 
2008 Relocated our North Shore Branch to bigger newer premises at 26 Hillside Rd Wairau valley.  We currently employ 23 valued people many of whom have been with the company for a long period and have seen the company grow and reshape over the years to become what it is today